Andrew Fraser
Andrew Fraser, Landscaper
Experience:  B.S. Landscape Horticulture, Master Pesticide Applicator, 27 Years Green Industry Exp.

Is this a

Customer Question

Is this a weed
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Andrew Fraser replied 6 months ago.
Hello, What is your goal in this area? A lawn? Where are you located roughly, and is this a current picture?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lawn and I want the perfect along with no weeds and only one type of grass growing in it
Alright, then without exact ID of the plant it is considered a weed simply because you don't want it. There are many grassy weeds that without close examination can't be ID via computer, but with that said it isn't a desired species for your lawn. So what to do about it? If you're serious about a pure stand of turf, there is a fair amount of work and expense that goes with it. You would want to treat the area with a non selective herbicide such as round up to kill off the existing vegetation. You would then need to strip the area of the dead vegetation, amend and fine grade the soil and lay sod. Sod farms typically grow a few different selections or blends. The advantage of sod is that it is a tightly knitted system that will restrict other grasses and weeds for a few years, and once the sod does start to naturalize, it is more noticeable in small spots so the invading weed can be locally treated before taking over the lawn. What size lawn are you seeking to create?
Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 6 months ago.
FYI--It sure looks like crabgrass.
I'd agree on the crabgrass, but that's why I asked geographic location. It is pretty mature for April. We haven't even applied our preventatives up here yet! Snow tomorrow!
Hello, are you all set with your lawn questions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I live in Florida and yes I did put pre-emergent down I had a company do it
Ok, then in that case what is likely happening is you are dealing with either Blanket or India crabgrass. I think India, because more of the hairs in the joints. These two types of crabgrass are not true annuals like most crabgrass, and last a couple years. A pre emergent control product will not work on that particular weed once it is already germinated, and I suspect this is last years plant. Control products are not a sure thing, especially true for pre emergents. So even if the lawn was treated last year, the barrier in best of situations only lasts 100 days.At this stage of its life cycle, selective post emergent control is very tough, but over the course of two or three years you can clear a lawn with the combination of pre-emergent and post-emergent applications of Dimension and Drive. That would be the most cost effective way of doing it while keeping any good grass in the lawn. Crabgrass seeds typically remain viable in the soil for about 3 years, but remember more blow in every year from the local area so inputs will always be required.I hope this answers your question. Is there anything else regarding this issue that I can help with?
Hello,It has been a few days since you were online. If you are all set, could you please let me know or rate our service? Thank you and good luck!