W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

I have two Pongam trees in my front yard in Cape Coral,

Customer Question

I have two Pongam trees in my front yard in Cape Coral, Florida. One of the trees looks healthy and beautiful with full foliage. The other tree looks sick. It has lost most of its leaves and its bark is very rough and crumbly. Is there something I can do to help this tree? They were planted at the same time--maybe around 10 years ago. ***@******.***
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 9 months ago.

It would be helpful to attach a picture of the base of each tree so that I could compare the two. Barring that, I can say it sounds like there isn't anything you can do to save the tree. When bark is drying out and peeling away from the trunk wood, that bark has died. If the bark dies all the way around the trunk, the tree's system of transport between the roots an the top of the tree is cut off, and the tree dies. There are a couple common reasons for this: the tree was planted too deeply and slowly rotted the bark, or there could have been physical damage from perhaps a lawn mower or a string trimmer that either encircled the trunk or allowed rot fungi to enter.

It could be another reason, such as root rot caused by improper drainage around the tree, but without any more evidence as to the cause, I can only speculate. No matter the cause, however, if the bark is dying the tree will follow.