Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

How can I tell if I've sharpened my knives to the

Customer Question

How can I tell if I've sharpened my wood chipper knives to the correct sharpness? I also seem to have alot of hardwood to chip - any suggestions on the best way to make that happen without dulling the blades in 1/2 hour?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. If the blade cut paper, it is good. It also depend of the type of chipper there is many and each manufacturer have a specification for the sharpening method you should see in your manual.

As to cut without dulling, make sure the wood is humid (green or soaking for a long time). The blade must never heat, so don't push too fast in it. Make sure you don't have sand in the bark, if not sure, debark the wood). Don't wait too much between sharpening period, follow manufacturer recommendations. Clean the blade from time to time (sap and resine can prevent heat to quit the blades fast enough by insulatin the area).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very good. Thank you!
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

It was my pleasure, please don't forget to rate me when you have time.