Anna
Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert
Experience:  I am a biologist with experience in water gardening, and growing trees, ornamental plants, and vegetables.
6012901

Can i prove that someone poisoned my tree? is there a way of

Customer Question

can i prove that someone poisoned my tree? is there a way of doing a test to see?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in trees. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. I apologize for the lack of formatting on this post. I'm working from a phone right now, and the Just Answer platform doesn't support formatting except on a computer. The answer to your question is maybe. There are various factors to consider. The most reliable way to detect toxins is to test the soil. If the poison was sprayed on or injected into the trunk, nothing will be found in the soil. However,smoke poisons can be found in the leaves. Another factor is how long ago this happened. Some poisons don't remain in the soil for long. These would not be detected. Most states do have labs where you can send send soil and foliage samples to be tested. Costs depend on how many substances have to be tested for. A complication with this situation is that even if you can prove your tree was poisoned, you may not be able to prove who did it. I will not have access to my computer until tomorrow. If you would like me to try to find a lab for you then, give me your state in a REPLY. I'll get back to you in the morning. Thank you. Anna

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for answering my question.

I live in North Vancouver Canada. I am not sure if you can point me to some reliable lab. I have neighbours that have be harassing us about our tree for the last 8/9 years. This spring a house across was sold and they asked the new owner to come and offer to cut down our tree. When we told them that the kids loved the tree, they were not happy because they said it obstructs their view. We went away for 6 weeks in the summer and when we got back our large beautiful Maple tree had black spots on the lower trunk.

We did not notice it right away but our friend's 5 year old stopped by for a visit after we got back and asked me why our tree had black spots on it. That's when I looked up and noticed that the tree was dying. I am so devastated, this tree is close to 40 ft high and its beautiful. Unfortunately we cannot save it, its dying so fast and the bark is falling off. I really would like to find out. Even our other neighbours were shocked to see how fast the tree had deteriorated. They bought the house next door last summer and they said they loved how green the tree was. Anyhow, I hope you can guide me through the process.

Thanks very much,

Phathi

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, Phathi. There are fewer labs in Canada, and so far I haven't found one for you. However, I will have some more time this afternoon, and I will do a more in-depth search. I'll get back to you later today with results. I appreciate your patience. Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting. I think I've found a lab that may be able to help. It is http://maxxam.ca/services/ecotoxicology. You would want to call first to check on prices and the scantly what they could offer you, but they offer testing for agricultural and environmental toxins. The phone number is ***-***-****. This is a terrible thing your neighbors have done. I hope you can get some resolution. Let me know if you need anything else. Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hi Phathi. Was the lab able to do the necessary tests?

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!