canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

I recently dug out around the foundation of my house to

Customer Question

Hello, I recently dug out around the foundation of my house to apply a waterproof membrane. We dug about 2 feet out from the house and approximately 8 feet down to the footing. The grade was backfilled loosely with the same material we took out. It is
a sticky clay/soil mixture. In our area we have an expansive clay material in our ground. Anyways, my question is how much should I expect the grade to settle and how long before it stops settling. Just so I can get an idea for continued landscaping.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. It will settle within a day or two and may not settle at all if it is filled with a digging machine and driving the machine over the filled in area. The description of the ditch is also very dangerous. If the ditch is 8 feet deep then the wall should be flared out to be 8 feet. For every foot you go down the ditch should be flared out that amount to prevent danger of cave in when someone is working in it. In the construction and home improvement business several workers die every year in ditch cave ins.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful or is there any clarification needed?