W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

I planted a 7' maple, a clump of 3 trunks. 3 years ago this

Customer Question

I planted a 7' maple, a clump of 3 trunks. 3 years ago this being the 4th. It put on about 5' in that time with nice big green leaves. This year it started out fine with nice green leaves. Through the summer the leaves started turning a rusty orange red colour and stayed small. The bottom 5 to 6" of the trunk show a black like sap around the trunk which could have something to do with the problem. The trunks are about 2 to 3" in diameter. I live north of North Bay, Ontario, Canada.
Any comments and can I save the maple tree ?
( ***@******.*** )
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Do you have picture of it you can share with me? You got it from the forest or a nursery? What variety of mapple is it?

Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a bacterial canker, or simply just rot in the bark. It may have been planted too shallow (the number one cause for tree and shrub mortality in the early years), or it may have been in excessively wet soil.

Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 1 year ago.

As for saving the tree, I would suspect not. Luckily, this is a young and relatively small specimen...easy to start over. Remember to choose a tree species that is right for the soil, and to plant it to the depth of the top of the roots. If you mulch, don't mulch up the trunk...leave a donut hole around the base.