Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075

I have a mulberry tree that has been in the ground about 8 mths grew f

Customer Question

I have a mulberry tree that has been in the ground about 8 mths grew fast has produced fruit but half the tree is losing there leaves I live in qld the gound mostly is clay. we are currently going into winter
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Mulberry trees are quite beautiful and from what it sounds like that it has produced fruit right away. Reasons though why the leaves have fallen off could be from many reasons. It sounds from my research that since it is summer and the weather is hot that the tree wants to conserve water. Also the change in the days length and temperature will cause the leaves to fall. If there are a good amount of leaves below the tree, using them as compost around the base would help in keeping the moisture around the tree. Since you have mentioned that the ground is clay that this could be helpful in mulching the leaves for moisture.If though the leaves are turning yellow and then falling, there could be some issues that are explained by the very good growing section of the San Francisco Chronicle:http://homeguides.sfgate.com/mulberry-trees-leaves-turn-yellow-drop-55895.html