Anna
Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert
Experience:  I am a biologist with experience in water gardening, and growing trees, ornamental plants, and vegetables.
6012901

We are removing some volunteer trees that have gotten out of

Customer Question

We are removing some volunteer trees that have gotten out of control on our property line. We want to replant some trees to provide some shade to the western exposure of our house and need something that is columnar, can be planted safely within ~12 feet of the house foundation. We live in Utah (zone 4). Would columnar oaks be ok or what would you suggest.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in trees.

Columnar oaks don't have extremely invasive roots, but they do grow in the direction of moisture. That often included water pipes and damp basements. At 12 feet from the house, there would be some risk of the roots growing into a crack in the basement or a water pipe.

There is a way to get around that. You could put in root barrier fabric in between the tree and the house. Here's a link to it:

http://www.biobarrier.com/

Most of the columnar trees are fast growing and have water-seeking roots, so a barrier may be your best choice.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!