A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612

How do I know if my old, very large fruitless mulberry has a disease t

Customer Question

How do I know if my old, very large fruitless mulberry has a disease that can be treated with a fungicide? It budded out but leaves curled up and died off about 10 days ago. We have had flooding in this area with lots of rain. There are some small, green patchy areas but they are too high for me to see how healthy they are.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you.
Fruitless mulberry trees are subject to many diseases, particularly as they get older. It would take a microscopic inspection of the leaves by a certified arborist to determine if it is a result of pest, borers, bacteria, fungus or one of the root rot problems they are subject to. HAve you consulted a certified arborist? These are really the only "experts" who could help you. They would need to see the problem. You could try taking some samples to your local Cooperative Extension Service for a diagnosis. This would be cheaper, but would take more time.
Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
All the best,
Schuyler
~