Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

Several weeping willows have died with three remaining slow to put out

Customer Question

several weeping willows have died with three remaining slow to put out leaves, 10 years old with cracks in bark, sap leaking? two have been cut down and removed?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Where are you located? In the North East?
Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 2 years ago.
If you would attach a picture link, that would be very helpful. I'd like to see the bark cracking and fluid leaking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm located in Racine Wisconsin, on lake Michigan.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
That area hardiness is zone 5b and the tree is about zone 5. The problem was perhaps the very under average freezing temperature that made it very close to zone 4, especially if the trees were exposed to wind.
Another cause for water loving trees that i often see like for quaking aspen is if there was a prolongated drought, this can start fermentation in the tree and cracks are produced from internal pressure.
If you want to replace the tree, willow grow fast and are one of the easiest to grow back from a cuttling (it does not even need rooting hormones). That said they are very resilient trees because of their vigor to grow back new wood. You may see them come back the same way some of my aspen passed a whole year without leaves to turn out OK the next spring (they would not pass two year without leaves that said).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I send pictures without an email address?
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
The site have an attach picture feature (but it may not work depending of the browser you have). You can also use imgur.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please send me an email address to send pictures to