Anna
Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert
Experience:  I am a biologist with experience in water gardening, and growing trees, ornamental plants, and vegetables.
6012901

The leaves and stems are coming down like rain on my beautiful,

Customer Question

The leaves and stems are coming down like rain on my beautiful, big black walnut tree and it's only May!! What can I do??? I don't want to lose this tree!
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in trees. I'm sorry to hear of this problem with your walnut. Some additional information will be useful.
Look at a few of the fallen stem. On the end where they were attached to the tree, do you see slightly ragged edges? Is there a tiny hole going up through the broken off stem?
Thank you.
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hi again. It appears you went offline without seeing my request for more information. So you won't have to wait any longer, I'm going to go ahead and answer without knowing that.

The most likely culprit is a pest called the butternut curculio. The larvae burrow into the stems. In the spring when they are ready to emerge, they chew their way back out, but now they're big enough to do some damage. The stems and leaves break off and fall to the ground. If you look closely, you can see where they burrowed out.

These pests will not kill the tree, and by the time the leaves begin falling, any damage they have done is over with. There's nothing you can do about them at that point. The Extension Service simply recommend s watering during dry spells to help the tree grow new leaves. Some years, like this one, the curculios are especially bad, while other years, there are very few.You can confirm all that I've told you here:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/butternut_curculio_walnut_leaves_have_been_littering_the_ground_recently

The information there pertains to all states, not just Michigan. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!