Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

My garden plant tomatoes leaves looks like this, what

Customer Question

My garden plant tomatoes leaves looks like this, what happened?
Category: Landscaping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pic2
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Looks like early blight or a similar fungal disease. If the damage is as extensive as it looks in the pics then your best course of action would be to rip them out and plant new plants. If you want to try and save what you have you must cut off any leaves with spots then spray the plants at least weakly with a fungicide. Most fungicides are pretty nasty chemicals but copper based fungicides are much safer and approved for organic practices. If the are spots on the main stem the plant can't be saved. Another thing that can help going forward is to keep the leaves off the ground and once the plants get bigger cut off any leaves within a foot of the ground. A red plastic mulch (black's ok too) can also help keep the leaves away from the soil where the fungus lives.