Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

My property management company in AZ knew I was moving out

Customer Question

My property management company in AZ knew I was moving out of state so they had me pay to refill the pool for $100 and have deducted $500 from my deposit and are claiming $75 for yard maintenance to trim trees that they planted and in 2 years grew to 10 ft. $200 to clear drains that were clogged upon moving in and $75 for 'extra work' by the pool guy because I manually turned the pool on for 5 hours daily rather than use the timer. The lease says the LL is totally responsible for the pool and me for 'yard maintenance'
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: AZ
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: It just has a checkbox that I am responsible for yard maintenance and they are responsible for pool upkeep. I paid extra to have a pool guy but he rarely came and then didn't come for 4 months which required the draining and refilling
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The landlord should not be charging you for these things, if the lease said they are responsible for the pool maintenance. You would have to sue the landlord in court though to recover your deposit, which means you have to go to AZ to file in small claims court to recover your money. I know you said you left the state, but if you want your money back, you need to go back and sue in small claims and you can sue for the reasonable costs of you returning to AZ to pursue the suit in addition to the money they owe you back on the deposit.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.