Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I've lived in my cottage for over 10 years and my landlord

Customer Question

I've lived in my cottage for over 10 years and my landlord is evicting me to move his Daughter and family into my place. Do I have any right to compensation for uprooting my home?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: San Mateo, California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: There are no written maintenance requirements. But I have maintained almost all maintenance wit some things that needed fixing that I'm not qualified to do. I'm a painting contractor so any painting, patching etc was done by me. including taking care of the plants, roses etc. I also painted the outside of my cottage and painted the house if front for free.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have less than 2 months to vacate my cottage. Time is of the essence.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

Have you done any research into landlord tenant laws in CA? I don't want to tell you what you already know.