Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

My lease agreement officially ended Oct. 1, and I gave my

Customer Question

My lease agreement officially ended Oct. 1, and I gave my landlord a month's notice, but my lease states that I'm required to give 2 months notice. I moved out Nov. 22 and did not pay my final month's rent. My lease states that failure to pay final month's rent will result in landlord retaining security deposit and tenant will be billed for damages. 2 months after moving out, my landlord contacted me billing me for 1months rent and a water bill. I live in Michigan. Should I assume that the law protects his rights to collect? The water bill was almost $400 by the way, and I was not living in the house during that entire billing cycle.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

LL is entitled to recover for the month and any damage incurred on providing proof. You can seek to negotiate a settlement for a lower amount since LL is not likely to sue beyond retaining the deposit since cost of suing would exceed the amount claimed.

Is that clear and acceptable?