Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I have a 67 year old friend who has been renting a house for

Customer Question

I have a 67 year old friend who has been renting a house for 17 years. The owner suddenly sold the property and the new owners have only given her 2 weeks to get out. While she is doing her best, ***** ***** is a long time and she is killing herself trying. Now they have told her they are going to shut off her electricity. The electricity is in the renters name and the bill is always paid in a timely matter. It is my understanding that in the state of California the owner is required to give the renter 60 days to get out. Can the new owners turn off her electricity? Are the new owners required to give her 60 days?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Since your friend has been a month to month tenant for over 1 yr, she is legally entitled to 60 days notice from the landlord to terminate her tenancy.

Shutting off her electricity or taking any other action to force her to leave is legally prohibited and would subject the owners to civil liability to her for illegal eviction. She would be entitled to sue them and recover damages which could include punitive damages and attorney fees.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

She can only be legally evicted through a forcible detainer action filed in the court and an order of possession executed by the sheriff.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If they shut off her electricity she can also call the police.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!