Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I am getting ready to sign a new lease. I'd like to know if

Customer Question

Hello, I am getting ready to sign a new lease. I'd like to know if I have the right to ask for an addendum to be added.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: There are issues with maintenance, but I believe those will be fixed. The people above me have a Doberman dog and they are very noisy. I have complained a lot, but the property manager never gets back to be. I just want to add that if these people continue to be noisy then I want the option to move without being penalized. I hate to do it, but I will if necessary.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no yet.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to helping you and providing you with the information that you need.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 19 days ago.

You have the right to ask for the addendum but you have to understand that the landlord also has the right to say no.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 19 days ago.

When you say that the people above you are noisy, can you be more specific?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
They are playing with the dog, making noise, the dog is howling a lot. There is enough ruckus up there that sometimes I feel someone is going to fall through the ceiling.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
canceled
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Does the complex allow dogs? Is the noise going on afterhours?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I cancelled this beautiful, I authorized a $5.00 charge on my card come to find out I was charged $34.00 that I did not authorize!