barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

In Fargo, ND is it legal for an apartment owner to restrict

Customer Question

In Fargo, ND is it legal for an apartment owner to restrict an area the dog can pee? I understand poop because I can pick that up, but in the cold am I required to some how get my dog to wait to pee until we walk several hundred feet away
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no nothing has been reported, just a posting that this must be followed for urine also
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing I can think of
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you under a written fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

Are you saying that the landlord has just posted a sign saying that tenants have to take their dogs to a certain area to urinate?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am under a written fixed lease. The landlord had a new pet policy signed and in the policy it said that dogs will poop and pee in the designated area only. During the months where it is not below zero, it is not an issue for the dog to wait until getting to the designated area. With the cold temperatures, the dog urinates shortly after getting outside. This is when the sign was posted

Ok, if you signed the lease with the new pet policy in it, then legally you are bound by that contract and that new policy.

.

With that said, I think it would be hard for the landlord to monitor what dog pees where and to enforce the policy, but it would be legal for the landlord to have a designated area for dogs to do their business..

.

So although it is a pain, you may have to carry your dog if possible to the designated area if you think that the landlord is actually going to try to enforce the policy.

.

.

thanks