barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

DO YOU DO LANDLORD TENANT LAW? VANCOUVER, HISTORY..... AT

Customer Question

DO YOU DO LANDLORD TENANT LAW?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: VANCOUVER WASHINGTON
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: LONG HISTORY..... AT PRESENT NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: THIS PROBLEM DATES BACK TO OCT 2014
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I have been a licensed real estate attorney dealing with landlord tenant issues for over 16 years and a landlord myself for 26 years...

.

If you can post your legal question, I will try to help.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
CAN A SELLER / LANDLORD CHARGE FULL PRICE RENT AND SALES PRICE WHEN THERE ARE MAJOR ISSUES TO THE
THE DWELLING?, SUCH AS NO WATER TO THE KITCHEN DO TO BROKEN PIPE, LITTLE TO NO HEAT DO TO AGE OF THE HEATING UNIT, IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. NO FINISHED FLOOR IN KITCHEN DO TO WATER DAMAGE WHEN PIPE BROKE. SELLER / LANDLORD WANTS TO CHARGE FOR REPAIRS ON OUTSIDE OF HOUSE THAT I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NEED FOR REPAIR, DOING REPAIRS INCORRECTLY.

If the property is uninhabitable due to no water and water damage, then no, they can't charge any rent at all. A landlord has a legal duty to provide a habitable dwelling that meets all code and housing laws. If they fail to do so, they are in breach and are not entitled to collect any rent unless they put the tenant up in a hotel until repairs are made so the property is put back in a habitable condition.

.

However, if the person is buying the property, and is a purchaser, not a tenant, then the buyer is the one responsible for making repairs on their property that they bought. The seller is just acting like a bank and financing the sale so the buyer is still obligated to pay the house payment.

.

So it depends on what the relationship is....seller or landlord.

.

.

thanks