Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

My landlord offered to sell us our home for $100,000 even. 3

Customer Question

My landlord offered to sell us our home for $100,000 even. 3 months ago he said "I don't think I want to sell right now". The process was started by him in the Fall of 2014 and wanted a quick sale. He offered to be the lender until we could get qualified for a loan. Now 3 months after he said "not reight now" he sent us an email offering 1. a 3 month rental agreement at almost double the price or 2. sell us the house but now for $160,000. We have kept a history of ALL communications. wE STARTED PAYING HIM THE "MORTGAGE" AMOUNT ON aPRIL 1, 2015 WITH AN APPOINTMENT TO SIGN AND PREDATE ON THE 15TH OF aPRIL (PRE-DATED TO aPRIL 1). hE SUGGESTED WE GET HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE SINCE "THE DEAL" WAS HAPPENING. nOW, ON dECEMBER 14, 2016 (i kNOW...) HE OFFERED US 1. A 3 MONTH RENTAL AT DOUBLE THE PRICE AND 2. BUY THE HOUSE FOR $160,000 - WAY over the agreed upon price. He signed a letter of intent to sell the property to us for $100,000. Not much but we have pre and post copies of emails saying the Same Thing. That could be worthless but we kept ALL texts & emails showing that he DID intend to sell it to us at $100K with him as the lender for the 1st 1-2 years so we could get our finances straightened out. We both have Excellent credit and were pre-approved for the loan by noth USAA and Quicken. Now he's threatening to kick us out BEFORE we've found a home!!! Help!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: "as is"
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, we used to be on Great Friendly terms. he got tangled up in court with a bipolar girlfriend. I am 100% disabled. we have made Every poayment on time at the Mortgage price. I Really think He's bipolar as well (I am after 12 strokes including 3 "widow-makers". I just can't move as fast as I was able to pre-sterokes.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He just now sent an email saying he's going to his lawyer tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he said " I don't feel like selling right now" AFTER I told him we had dropped the homeowners insurance, then, after a LOOONG pause he said the above. 3-4 months and we hear from him on December 14 that he wanted an answer by the 31st of December. We have NO intention of buying OR renting the house now. He offered us a 3 month rental agreement and I countered with a 2 month oeriod and he got Mad!!! I seriously believe he is Bipolar.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a written contract whereby he agreed to sell and you agreed to buy the home, he cannot simply cancel the sale without your consent. You can force him to honor the terms of the contract as it is written and can force him to complete the sale OR seek money damages from him if he will not (such as return of all previous payments and down payments made to him). So, if he will not honor the written terms of the sale you have a right to sue him for breach of contract and seek damages from him and a court order for him to be forced to complete the sale.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.