Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I have been living in my apartment for 2 years. The landlord

Customer Question

I have been living in my apartment for 2 years. The landlord has a copy of my driver's license. She is now requesting a photo (headshot) to put in her files. I inquired about getting a puppy not to long ago and was told that the deposit for the dog would be $1000 which is two and a half time my rent. What rights do I have?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Alabama
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: 12 month lease. Maintenance is like pulling teeth. I don't even bother to call anymore.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, the landlord can request updated information on a tenant that is not illegal. Also, there is no law in Alabama preventing a landlord from charging the pet deposit in addition to the security deposit. See: AL Code 35-9A-201 (http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/35-9A-201.htm).
Thus, if you wish to remain, you would need to comply.
If the landlord is not doing maintenance required, then the landlord is in breach of the lease and it is grounds for you to sue or to terminate the lease without penalty, since they have to make repairs or maintenance as required. If the landlord keeps refusing repairs you can seek to end the lease and sue for the cost of moving out as well as return of all of your deposits, that is your only real right.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.