barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Is there a legal percentage amount a tenants rent can be

Customer Question

Is there a legal percentage amount a tenants rent can be increased in CA?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: CA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: upkeep issues and amenity issues
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what city you are in?

.

Are you in a rent controlled or rent stabilized dwelling?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Im in the city of Los Angeles and not in a controlled or stabilized dwelling

Ok, if you aren't in a rent controlled or stabilized building then there is no limit to the amount a landlord can increase the rent. There are no statewide rent control laws in CA as they are determined on a city by city basis. In cities that have rent control, the rent control laws only apply to those specifically controlled buildings and typically limit increases from 2-5% a year.

.

But other non controlled housing has no restrictions on increases. However, if a tenant is not under a fixed term lease, the landlord has to provide at least a 30 day notice for 10% or under increase and a 60 day notice for any increase over 10%.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ok my rent is increasing from $3240 to $3870 which I believe is over a 10% increase correct? and it is dated Oct 26, 2016

Yes, that is definitely over 10%... actually 19.44%. So it would require at least 60 days notice or it is legally ineffective to serve a notice of a valid rent increase. So if they don't give you at least a 60 day, you can legally ignore it until they do.

.

.

thanks