Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

This is dealing with harassment of tenants by landlords, on

This is dealing with harassment of tenants by landlords, on inspections of rental units, number of times in a two month time frame. First, I have had a landlord request for inspection for sale of rental on three different occasions within two months, and four within six months. I have to take off time from work as to take care of pets in the apartment. On two occasions they failed to show up at their requested time. What can I do as a tenant? And the second is on repairs to the apartments, they are not being done timely, most recent was a garbage disposal that needed repair, it took them three months to repair, and sent the repairman on Veterans Day a Holiday, seems like more harassment to me? Any advice welcome.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Great state of Florida.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Umm, no, no reports to the Better Business Bureau, or to Building inspectors.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, stay beautiful.
Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
What you describe is more a breach of the warranty of quiet enjoyment. The excessive inspections are the basis for the breach of the warranty. If the claim does not exceed $5000 you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.
The failure to repair is a breach of the maintenance duties imposed on the landlord and can also be addressed in small claims court.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks.
You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!