barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

As a renter what protection do I have against varmints and

Customer Question

as a renter what protection do I have against varmints and insects?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: FL
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I am 90 years old and live at a retirement community of 500 apartments.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The landlord has a legal duty to provide a dwelling that is free or rodent and insect infestations under the implied warranty of habitability inherent in every lease.

.

So if you have an infestation, as in a lot of critters in your dwelling, you can notify the landlord about the problem in writing sent certified mail (so you have proof) and they have a duty under FL statutes 83.51 to undertake extermination efforts.

.

If the landlord fails to comply with s. 83.51(1) within 7 days after delivery of written notice from you specifying the noncompliance and saying you are going to terminate the rental agreement you can then terminate the rental agreement. If you remain in possession the rent is reduced by an amount proportional to the loss of utility of the premises. Tenant may also enforce the landlord’s obligations by filing suit for damages.

.

.

thanks