Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

We were evicted from our apartment on Nov. 9, 2016. I

Customer Question

We were evicted from our apartment on Nov. 9, 2016. I contacted our landlord on Wed. to arrange to pack and remove our property. He now says that he wants $1500.00 to release our property. In the court filing he stated that the price per day of the property is $55.00 per day. He says that that was when we were living there. I do not have that much money and need advice of what to do
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We went to court and filed an answer to the complaint we went to court and by stipulation that we would move. We were evicted by the sheriff and by law had 15 days to remove the property. The soonest I was able to arrange that was this sat. due to the holiday. I tried to reach the landlord on wed to inform him that the movers would be there on sat. I finally spoke to him today and now he wants $1500.00 before we can remove our property
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Just to be clear, it was court ordered, by the Judge that the landlord could charge this per day fee if the property was not removed? In addition, the property was kept and you remained past the 15 days? Does the order say anything about him being allowed to retain the property until paid or just that he can charge this?