Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

I have a rental property that's needed a few minor repairs

Customer Question

Hi Thomas, I have a rental property that's needed a few minor repairs and the current tenant insists that I drive 50 minutes to the property to let workers into the unit rather than her schedule repairs when she's home to let them in. Am I required to go to the property with maintenance people?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I didn't put anything specifically addressing this issue in the lease
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have gone to the unit to check on issues that she's complained about only to find that there was no problem at all. She said there was no hot water and there was and she said the electrical outlets didn't work and I tested when I was there and they worked fine
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 14 days ago.

Do you have a specific question to ask about this situation?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry, I specifically want to know if I can require the tenant to let in repair people rather than me driving all the way to the property to let them in. I have a home warranty on the property so I always have reliable maintenance people but it would be so much easier if she could just directly arrange the time for repairs to be made when she's home to let them in. Thank you, David
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 14 days ago.

Hi David: Yes, you can do that. What I do is give the tenants phone number to the repair guy, and the repair guy the tenants phone number and let them make the arrangements. I also tell the tenant that if the repair guy doesn't find anything wrong, and I get billed for the call, the tenant has to pay it. You might consider putting a clause in your lease to cover this situation. Happy Thanksgiving!!

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.