Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

We rent a condominium in Santa Clarita. From the very 1st

Customer Question

We rent a condominium in Santa Clarita. From the very 1st day we moved in the tenant below has complained constantly if we walk. we have 2 small children who are in bed by 9pm. They can't move without tenant below banging on our floor. She complained to the HOA and we also called them. They told us that as renters we have no rights. Is this true? We do not play loud music and the kids do not run constantly. The tenant below does have a dog that barks constantly. What are our recourses?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: It is California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: It is a standard lease. The owner has a handyman that does the repair in the condo but the HOA maintains the common areas.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If we are abiding by noise laws can this tenant continue to keep banging on our ceiling? Noise laws in California are generally from 8am to 10pm
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

From the facts mentioned, you have not violated your tenancy. The complaint is baseless. A barking dog on the other hands interferes with quiet enjoyment, and the landlord should be advised of this. You can of course pursue a police report which can help, or a nuisance complaint in civil court.