socallegalwork
socallegalwork, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker with over twelve years of experience, specializing in landlord/tenant matters.
63833317

They say in the lease you have to let them know 2 months

Customer Question

They say in the lease you have to let them know 2 months before end of lease whether you are staying or going. I notified them to write me a lease a month ago and they have not produced a lease for me to sign. I have 1 month before the lease is up. Worried about no place to live in a month. Should I look for another apartment?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 17 days ago.

Hello. I believe I can assist you.

If your lease expires without a new written lease agreed upon by you and your landlord, then your lease automatically becomes a month-to-month lease under the same terms as the original lease (same rent per month, etc.).

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
what if I find another apartment and sign a lease there? Can I leave with no problems?

You would need to serve the landlord with a 30 day notice of intent to vacate. But if you provide the landlord notice and no fixed term lease is in effect, then yes you can move.