Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

My daughter lives in a rented apartment. She has lost her

Customer Question

My daughter lives in a rented apartment. She has lost her job due to a medical disability. Can she get out of her lease without penalty.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Minnetonka, MN
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: one year lease. not up until July 2017
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She has been diagnosed with a Medical Disability
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 2 months ago.

This is attorney Bill offering assistance today.

Because State laws vary in relation to permission to breach a lease, let me quickly research this for you. There is also a possibility to assign or sublease the leasehold. Let me look into it.

Attorney Bill

Thank You for waiting while I was away.

The Minnesota landlord-tenant laws are less lenient on tenants than most States.

The ability of your daughter to sublease the property needs to be examined by a reading of the lease; similarly, the compulsion of the landlord to mitigate his loss from early termination can only be fully determined by a comprehensive viewing of the lease.

I would consider a negotiation with the landlord as the best way forward, to gauge his response after you indicate an intention to sublease the property should he deny this.

In the bargaining process reference to the American Disabilities Act and request for making changes to the accommodation may not be possible for the landlord, and he might negotiate an early termination.

Going forward with a sublease, considering the circumstances by lease, or your daughters disability, it would be against public governmental policy not to allow a sublease.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE POSITIVELY TO GIVE ME A CREDIT

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO FOLLOW UP WITH ME

THERE IS A PREMIUM REVIEW OF LEASE SERVICE THAT YOU SHOULD REQUEST ME TO FULFILL ALSO.

You can request premium DOCUMENT REVIEW

Attorney Bill