Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

PA landlord tenant 1) Tenants without my permission brought

Customer Question

PA landlord tenant1) Tenants without my permission brought a cat without my permission. I learned it on my own when I went to the rental and I smelled cat’s urine and saw dried up poop on the carpet.I asked them to pay $55/month + pet security deposit of half month rent (making their total security deposit 2 months rent). In the lease there is no mention of pet security deposit, because I never had a case that the tenant will bring pet without my knowledge. They never paid the pet security deposit, but have paid most of the pet fee of $55/month.Can I still have them evicted based on the fact that without my permission they brought a pet? Please explain.2) I am thinking of different legal ways to have my tenants pay their rent. Will any of the following be considered harassment or illegal?a) Tenants, have 3 phone numbers. Call each phone number everyday once until they pay.b) call their work place.c) report them to credit bureau on their debtLet me know if you need more info to help.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Does the lease prohibit pets unless they obtain your permission?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In the tenant’s lease it has the following sentences:
*keep no pets without written permission of the Landlord.
*If the family decides to keep a pet, a $50 per pet will be added to the monthly rent. Landlord’s written permission is needed prior to bringing a pet.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hi again. Thank you for clarifying.

Q: Can I still have them evicted based on the fact that without my permission they brought a pet? Please explain.

A: You certainly had the right to evict the tenant when you first learned of the pet. The problem is that you have since then accepted additional rent for the pet. This could very well be seen as acceptance of the pet. Accordingly, there is a good chance that you would not be able to evict for the pet. Additionally, if there is no mention of a pet security deposit, then you have no legal basis to collect such a deposit.

Q: Will any of the following be considered harassment or illegal?

a) Tenants, have 3 phone numbers. Call each phone number everyday once until they pay.

b) call their work place.

c) report them to credit bureau on their debt

A: All of the above would be legal, though if the tenants tell you not to call their work, then you would be prohibited from doing so or it would become unlawful harassment.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
2a) If the tenants tell me not to call them, am I prohibited from doing so?
2c) the lease is between me (as an individual) and tenants. Do I need to have an LLC or company to be able to report them to credit bureau on their debt? Can you share an official link on how I can report them if I am allowed to do so? Please explain details.
Thank you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
also could you send me a link that has PA eviction letter?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello again. I am logging off for the evening, so I will open this question to other attorneys for their input regarding your follow-up questions. I truly wish you the best.

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Thanks for asking for me. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Being able to get and report credit rating information is a service you pay for. Contact one of the credit reporting agencies such as Experian to get the particulars on what you need to do. Here is a link. http://www.experian.com/small-business/services-new.jsp Speak to an agent and explain what you want to do and they can tell you the services you want and they will tell you what the costs are.

You do not need to be a LLC as you can do what you want as an individual.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 10 days ago.

I sent you the answer to your question a few days ago. If you do not have any additional questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.