Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I am presently in a court case (landlord tenant), and my

Customer Question

i am presently in a court case (landlord tenant) , and my father is very ill , court case has been going on a long time , and have had a lot of postponements .the judge has been hard on me with my own sicknesses (diabetic infection & and has forced me into the courts unfit ) and on many medications , and forced me to to take the stand , and was cross examined while unfit.now i have a big problem , my father has cancer , and was just diagnosed with another cancer and has spread through out his whole body, and is dyinghow do i go on record with the courts to change the up coming court dates , and hardshipim not fit to be on cross . i believe the judge will not have any more cancelations , because she forced me into court last hearing while i was ill and infected , and had surgeryhow do i go on record that i was denied , postponement ,, and if possible ask for a retrialthis judge has no consideration that my father is dying , and my surgerynew york city
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
can i appeal and stop the case , because i am unfit to be crossed
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
also need time with my dying dad , and looking for alternatives , try hard to keep him alive
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
is there such a thing of a leave of absence , duue to hardships like this , my father is dying
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is Richard-Bizlaw and I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Once I review your post I will get back to you.

What is the landlord case against you about? If there has been a hearing why are more needed?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
also my father is the fiduciary of my brother who came out of the service (navy) early 70s , and now the goverment is making me the fiduciary , this also is a hardshipthe case is part of a 30 day notice , regarding no leaseand i do have a lease , but the ;landord is trying to fraudulently break the lease , landlord can make millions by removing me from the premises
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
my brother is 100% disable , and want to make that part of the reason for postponement
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i was petition into court , by landlord
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
hold over

You can file a request for an additional adjournment but you need to give the reasons you listed in your post with an explanation as to why these events keep you from testifying or preparing your case. Just saying your have problems is not sufficient. You must be very precise in exactly how the other responsibilities keep you from being able to testify. A holdover is a summary proceeding and the case is to be resolved quickly. You cannot appeal from a decision of the court not to give you an extension as that is not an appealable decision. You can only appeal a final adverse decision. Sorry for the bad news but that is where I see you standing legally.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thats a problem , not satisfied with answers , do not deduct any monies from my credit card on filei have a witnesses to the case , who was ill with cancer , and is now getting better , can i request him in as a witnesse , but it wont be granted , because he was ill , and now is fitif denied my witness , what do i do
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 16 days ago.

As for the witness, you can ask to present them and explain why they were not available previously. If the court refuses to allow the witness you must put on the record what their testimony would have been had they been allowed to testify and why it was important for your case. That is necessary to present the denial as part of any appeal you make.

You said you were not satisfied with the original answer. What information was it lacking that you sought? I will clarify any question you have.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
is the military law help me re; my father is the fiduciary , and now dying , and my brother is 100% disable , and if im not present with them and aiding them , its putting alot of stress on my family and mei believe there is a 90 day extention if im having problems taking care of my brother (!00% disable from military)because my father is ill with cancer and lost 80 lbscan i do an order to show cause
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
please do not deduct any monies from my credit card , until i condon it
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
why
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
my landlord admitted that he did sign a lease with me when under cross (stand) , abd signed it twicei was given a 30 bay notice to leave the premisis and hold overthis petition is now defective , can i take it to a higher court , while this case is activei have a bonusagain i was just notified recently that my dad has cancer throughout his whole bodyand needs my assistance , and my dad is the fiducuary for my brother who is 100% disable from militaryand my brother needs my assistance and givernment is making me the fiducary (in progress)im having a hard time taking care of both , this is a hardship (double)i read a law that says i can get 90 day leave from the courts , is this true
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i changed attorneys , not happy , and not getting along with present lawyeri just retained a new attorneydoes my old attorney have to show up for courtat my next hearingcan my new attorney show up without him (old attorney)i have had many adjournments do to my illnesses and my father illnesses (just notified of his cancer)there is a bonus here please answer asap
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 8 days ago.

If you are behind in rent, but the landlord has not yet gotten an eviction order from the court, then the automatic stay order that results from filing for bankruptcy will stop the eviction at least until the LL obtains an order from the BK court to left the automatic stay. This should buy you a few month time.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i was talking about 90 day leave due to my brother who is 100% disable vet (va) , and my father can no longer take care of him due to recent cancer found tru out my father body
is there a law that permits me time to help my brother in the courts
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
attorney question
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
why
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello