Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My tenant is refusing to allow my management company access

Customer Question

my tenant is refusing to allow my management company access to the home to do repairs. He says he will only work with me and not my management company.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: maryland
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: the lease does not specify that the tenent only deal with me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: as he did in the past, the tenant wants to be able to call the maintenance person himself and then bill me for the repair work even when the liability is his
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does your lease reserve a specific right of access for you or your agents?

.

Are these repairs or just maintenance that need to be done?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The wording in the lease is between "me or my agent" and the "tenant."
The tenant did not replace the air filter in the for 2.5 years. It was replaced last March. and then it appears he did not change the filter from March to september when the ac leaked and flooded the palyroom in the basement and significant mold damage. He did not cooperate and so I had to get the repairs done. He says I am liable for it and also the furniture items that became moldy. I then hired a management company to take care of all future repairs. He pushed back at the idea and tried to talk me out of it. But after I made the final decision, he hired a lawyer who sent me a detailed letter with demands. Lately the lawyers have threatened to file ca case against me for $40000 of items missing from their home and another $90,000 for mold related medical expenses.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I want to know if I can file for an eviction for the tenant not allowing access to the house to my agent to do repairs (tightening the door to limit ingress of moisture from outside, replace garbage disposal, caulk windows to limit ingress of moisture, install glass awnings above windows that may be allowing moisture in the house, etc.)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I would also like my maintenance company to check and clean if necessary the ac filters and the dehumidifier filter and a few other routine maintenance items important for the house.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Lease term is 3.5 years (Jan 2015 - May 2018)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
A year ago I had identified some mold in the basement in the house. I had it tested last January. One sample showed 4-5 times higher levels compared to outside of penecilium mold inside the sunroom. I had it remediated. The samples after the remediation showed low levels. After the ac leak remediation I had the basement and 1st floor sampled and the results showed low levels and a recommendation of no action.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have asked my management company to do mold testing every quarter. The tenant has not responded in 1 week because he refuses to deal with the management company.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello Mr Barrister, are you still there?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
This is not working. I want to end my 7-day free trial. I will call my credit card company and block any payments to you.

I apologize for the delay, I was working with another customer on their question. Did you want to continue or would you like to cancel and request a refund of any fees you have paid?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Cancel please

No worries, I will send the question over to JustAnswer's customer service for you.

.

.