insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

I advertised my room-to-let on Craigslist and two persons

Customer Question

I advertised my room-to-let on Craigslist and two persons responded with money. Nobody has moved in yet and no papers are signed by me yet, but one guy started a bank transfer of the $500 security deposit and the other guy is ready to make a competing cash deposit of $500. The bank transfer guy I don't want as a tenant candidate and the cash guy I do want, but the bank transfer guy is highly emotional about the denial and I don't want to continue with him.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Seattle WA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Sure, but lease is not signed by both parties yet so maybe the lease doesn't really exist until it is signed by both parties.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only money so far is that the "bad" tenant prospect has a bank-transfer of $500 applied for but it is not yet completed by the banks.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Until a lease is signed by both parties, there is no binding contract because there is no full accord and satisfaction of all the terms and conditions of the agreement which is required in order for there to be a binding contract. You have every right to pick one prospective tenant over another for any reason other than an illegal discrimination...i.e., picking one tenant over another based on race, religion, ethnicity, age, sex or some other protected group. But, even if this prospective tenant would be a member of any such protected group, the prospective tenant still has the burden of proving you based your decision upon that rather than some other variable.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!