Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I was a month to month renter in a house. I never signed any

Customer Question

I was a month to month renter in a house. I never signed any agreements as that is the way the landlord wanted it. Never agreed to a 30 day notice period. I got a sudden job offer in Dallas and gave notice that I would be leaving. I had paid for the month of September. gave notice on the 10 and was out on the 18th left my portion spotless. talked to the landlord twice about getting my 500 deposit back upon inspection including the last day when i was packed and met him in the drive way in which he said i will inspect once you are out. He asked me to leave my forwarding address to send me the deposit. I finally sent him that about 3 weeks later only to have him say he was not returning it as he did not rent the space. All against his words. This happened to another tennant who gave notice 1 day befor me. So we are both willing to file what ever to get our cash back. Please provide your thoughts about whether this is worth going after or not. Carter Einhorn
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New Mexico.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: There was not lease
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

How much notice did you give before leaving? 8 days?

.

.

thanks