barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Is there a percentage cap a landlord can raise rent in

Customer Question

Is there a percentage cap a landlord can raise rent in oregon?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Oregon
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No issues, my 2 year lease is up March 30, 2017. At the beginning of this lease they raised it $114 from $850 to $964 per month, if i didnt sign a lease it would have been 1150 per month.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately, Oregon actually has a law against rent control so there is no rent control at either the state or local levels. So a landlord can literally increase the rent as much as they want if a tenant is not under a written fixed term lease. See ORS 91.225 Local rent control prohibited

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks