Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My son lives in a trailer park where he pays week to week.

Customer Question

My son lives in a trailer park where he pays week to week. He brought in a dog and that is against his rental agreement. The landlord wants to eat victim him. What are the laws about this? The dog is a stray and he is planning to Take it to a shelter. I read he had 14 days to make this right. Am I correct or does that only apply to lease agreements?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The trailer is not even meeting codes in South Carolina. The front steps are broken. There are holes everywhere. It is bug infested and was before he moved in. He didn't notice it obviously until the night when they came out. After he had already paid a deposit and A weeks rent. Is there anything he can do about getting his deposit back if he is being evicted?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

An agreement that someone will pay rent week to week IS a lease agreement. The problem is, the landlord can terminate at any time with 7 days written notice. S.C. Code of Laws, Section 27-40-770. The landlord doesn't need a reason for refusing to renew a week to week lease. Your son would be protected by laws giving him 14 days to repair the problem if he had a month-to-month lease, but here, the landlord doesn't have to give him a chance before terminating the lease.

If he can remove the dog ASAP, he may be able to get the landlord to reconsider.

A landlord is only allowed to keep a tenant's security deposit for unpaid rent and actual damage to the property. The landlord will have to return his deposit, and he can sue if they don't.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?