LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

I need to ask my landlord for another week to pay this

Customer Question

I need to ask my landlord for another week to pay this months Rent payment
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: it was actually due on the 1st. I was injured and didn't have the funds. My paycheck was garnished this week sand I didn't have enough to pay the rent afterwards
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: OKLAHOMA.....YES, there was an issue with water leaking in the past, but was repaired. However they haven't repaired the mold all over and aroun in the batheoom
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If they want to evict me, before that will they give me another chance to pay up, or is that it, I'm gone?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 23 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Have they sent you any notice to cure or vacate yet? Do you know when you will have the money and if you pay it late this month, will it be on time next month?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I have receive the NOTICE TO PAY OR QUIT, and I told them I would pay on Friday, but due to a WAGE GARNISHMENT with my paycheck I am still short
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
do I ask for an additional week to pay for November? Or ask if I could pay both Nov & Dec all together in Dec?

They can proceed and do not have to accept less than the full amout

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Will I get a time frame to pay, or will I just be evicted &I have to pay still?

You can ask them for another week or offer to pay both rents December 1, plus any late fees BUT if they do not want to wait or agree, they can start with the eviction. The eviction process takes time, so you could have a few weeks before you are evicted but they do not have to accept partial payments or wait to evict, if the rent is past due.

Ideally, they will work with you and understand your situation but the truth is that they are not obligated to. It would be better for them to help you out and wait, if you can pay in full, instead of having to deal with and go through the eviction process.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I am at a loss, I don't know what I can do? Any advice??

Speak with them this morning. Advise them of the garnishment and how you were injured and this was an isolated event and a bad month. Offer to give them a portion now and then pay the balance next week and promise to pay the rent on December 1, as well, so you are current. Explain that you will have the money plus any late fees and just need another week, with the Holidays, to become current.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!