barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I purchased a manufactured home 2 weeks ago in Country

Customer Question

I purchased a manufactured home 2 weeks ago in Country Knolls Park. I was told that I still have to sighn a land lease agreement. I have no issue with that, however, he is asking me to pay $2,500 deposit on lease agreement. Whin I asked him when do i get it back, his answer was when you sell your house or die. This does not sound legal to me. I think he is scaming me out of this money. I went to a residence meeting and spoke to other residence, they said no one has ever had to pay this kind of money. If I refuse to pay this, but agree to sign the lease agreement, can he evict me from the park? I was approved and closed on my house 2 weeks ago. Please can you help me, That is all the money I have. I am 66 yrs old, diabled and on social security for 608.00 a mon.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?
Customer: This is in Pompano Beach, Fl. 33064 the house was built in 1974, however it was moved to Country Knolls 3 yrs ago.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: So far I closed on the house. They even held off sending my Title application in to MV until I called the main office of Sunshine Mobile home sales 2 days ago.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They are also not giving the park rules to me until I sign the lease agreement and give them $2500.00. Isn,t like too late to be able to read them before I give them that money? The hourse is already out of the barn at that point. I,m scared that if I refuse to give him that amt of money, can he evict me from the Park, causing me to have to see the house and move?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 24 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

How much is the lot rent per month?

.

.

thanks

.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The lot rent is $700.00 per mo., whitch I have already paid for Nov, 2016. Have copy of check paid.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The lot fee is $700.00, whitch i have already paid for Nov 2016, 2 days after I closed on house.

Ok, under FL law, there is no limit on how much a landlord can charge as a security deposit. So unfortunately, they can charge whatever they want in order to agree to enter into a lease contract with a new tenant.

.

I hate to say it, but this is something that should have been investigated prior to purchasing the home to know what all the charges, fees, and prepaids would be to get a lease with the landlord..

.

As for the park rules, under FL law, they have to give you a copy once you enter into a lease, but you have 15 days to cancel it after that if you don't agree to all the rules. See FL Statues 723.011 Disclosure prior to rental of a mobile home lot.

.

So the bot***** *****ne is that yes, he can evict you from the park for violation of the lease/part terms if you don't agree to the offered lease and deposit terms and force you to remove the home to somewhere else..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks