Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

I want to know how I can figure out if my rental qualifies

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I want to know how I can figure out if my rental qualifies for rent control
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: my landlord is trying to raise the rent $200/month on $1550 making it $1750 It is in Oakland, CA in alamena country county
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: The faucet was leaking and required repair. My landlord refused to pay the bill.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The unit is a 1bd/1bth condo building was built in 1966 and the date it was sold into condos is unknown to me
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is Richard and I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

In most cases condominium units like single family dwellings are not subject to rent control and there are no restrictions on rent increases. Only if your unit was previously subject to rent control under some old local ordinance dating before mid 1990s, your unit will not be subject to rent control. Sorry for the bad news but that is how I see your situation legally.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How would I be able to find out if it was every under rent control?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any limit on the rental increase? And what are the notification requirements attached to that?

Without rent control there is no limit on rent increases. Call the local housing authoirty and they should be able to help you. Here is a link to their website. http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/hcd/o/RentAdjustment/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The local housing authority said they couldn't help me until I figured out if the condo is rent controlled or not. This is the only unit that my landlord owns within the building. He does not live in CA, at least not since 2006. Does that make a difference?

Unfortunately, if your unit was built after 1995 it is not rent controlled. If it is a single family house or is a condo it is not rent controlled. Since your unit is a condo and you have no basis for believing the unit wsa ever under rent control there is no basis for believing that it is. I am sorry for the bad news but that is where I think you stand.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.

I sent you the answer to your question a few days ago. If you do not have any additional questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 months ago.