barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I need to know if it is legal for a landlord to change the

Customer Question

I need to know if it is legal for a landlord to change the locks on your unit and not allow you in your unit because if late rent? Also if repairs are not done/completed because you are behind on your rent is that allowed?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: yes the maintenance issues have been occurring since May. From mold in my closet from a leak in the unit above in May. A subsequent leak in the shower resulting in the ceiling collapsing and causing a huge hole in the ceiling. I have electric sockets and switches that do not work. I have not been issued a fire extinguisher and the ceiling fan is broken.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a veteran who in the past have hit hard times and have been locked out by this complex for a week i was forced to sleep in hospital lobbies, on the patio of the unit and other unsuitable places. I have fallen behind before and maintenance would not be done until I was able to find the funds to get caught up in rent
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

No, this is an illegal constructive eviction. If the landlord wants to get a tenant out, they have to first give a written 5 day notice to pay or vacate and then go through a formal eviction in court to get a judgment and a writ the sheriff or constable will execute to force the tenant to leave.

.

So if they have locked you out, you have the right to sue the landlord for breach of contract in small claims court and seek damages up to $10,000. Judges don't look very kindly on landlords who take this kind of action and can hit them pretty hard with penalties to set an example and deter future similar conduct..

.

.

thanks