Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I live in Fairfield, California, Solano county. I've applied

Customer Question

Hi. I live in Fairfield, California, Solano county. I've applied to an apartment, but they've checked with a previous apartment that says I owe them money. That previous apartment sent an invoice and returned most of my deposit to me, these new charges for carpet replacement were added afterwards. Is this legal?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website, James! Just to make sure that I understand, When you say that the previous apartment sent you an invoice, when did they send you the invoice and when did they return your security deposit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I left the previous apartment, Club Pacifica, in December 2015. They sent an invoice and a check refunding my deposit about 8 days later, Dec 23. California allows 21 days to provide an invoice and a bill or refund.
I thought that when my deposit was returned, all business was concluded.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 3 months ago.

If they sent you your deposit back, I'm unclear as to how you owe them money. Are you saying that they sent you an additional invoice for the carpet later? Can you please clarify? If yes, when was the additional invoice sent?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was sent a few days after the original one.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 3 months ago.

And what happened after that? After they sent you an invoice for the carpet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing happened until Monday when the apartment I applied to, and gave fee to hold the apartment, asked them for a referral and was told that I owe them money, effectively putting my move on hold.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 3 months ago.

Forgive me but I am a little confused. You said that they sent you an invoice for the carpet a few days after December 23rd but now you say that nothing happened. Can you please clarify so that I can understand the facts?

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hi James. Do you still need assistance or should I close this out?