David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

If my landlord violates civil code, am I allowed to break my

Customer Question

If my landlord violates civil code, am I allowed to break my lease?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  David Stewart replied 21 days ago.

Hello: it is unclear what you mean by Civil code. If you are speaking of a civil rights violation in the nature of discrimination or something else, I am providing you a link here for reference: http://civilrights.findlaw.com/discrimination/housing-discrimination-faqs.html

A civil rights violation may allow you to break your lease but it will depend on the circumstances and how the landlord responds when you raise the issue. For instance, did the landlord stop the offending action when asked or did it continue. If it continues, you would then have much better chances of breaking the lease without a penalty.

If you mean the landlord violated the law in some other way, it will again depend on the situation. If the residence is unsafe for instance to due a violation you would likely be able to break the lease without penalty if the Landlord refuses to fix the issue.

I hope this helps. Feel free to reply with follow up if your question is not answered. All the best, David