Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I have been subleasing an apartment for about 6 months. The

Customer Question

I have been subleasing an apartment for about 6 months. The lease ended 11/1/16, and I made a verbal agreement with the landlord to take over the lease month to month. I had a personal emergency and had to leave town and couldn't pay rent on time, and when I returned on 11/9/16 he had moved all of my belongings into the back yard and changed the locks without notice or going through an eviction process. I've been advised that this is illegal, but I'm unsure how to proceed. I don't know renter law at all... I'm just a kid and I had to sleep on a bench last night. What are my options?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 29 days ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

The eviction is illegal and you can sue the landlord for such an illegal eviction. You would be awarded money damages for finding a place to stay and storage of your property.

You can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Expert:  Loren replied 29 days ago.

You can also use the following link to demand access to your apartment:

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/end-illegal-lock-out-demand

Expert:  Loren replied 26 days ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!