Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I paid 450.00 in 2013 for a pet deposit. I have the

Customer Question

I paid 450.00 in 2013 for a pet deposit. I have the cancelled checks. When I moved in June,I was advised I would get my 300.00 cleaning back and I did, but since they are under new ownership, they have no record of anyone's dog deposit.Can I get my money back? I live on SS and really need my money back.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 30 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. In what state was the rental? Was the pet deposit refundable? Was it written in on the lease? Did you pay via check?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I live in texas. I was told $200 would be kept, and the balance, as well as cleaning/damage deposit, would be returned. I have a very lengthy lease, but no mention of animal deposit return. As far as I know, other tenets at the apt. are not aware.Some have $800.(2 pets) tied up, and many are living SS or section 8.. The present managers only response is, "we didn't own this property then". I have two cancelled checks for dog deposits,1 for 200.00 and one for 250. Both checks are noted for dog deposit.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 30 days ago.

Does your lease mention the pet deposit at all?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
No, and sorry, I can't afford to talk to you in person. Choosing between you and groceries.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 30 days ago.

I do not do phone consultations on this site and so you can ignore that request. It was sent by the site automatically.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 30 days ago.

Do you know when they went under new ownership?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I think it was the end of 2014 or early 2015. The name is ***** ***** apt., cleburne,tx Phone(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
P.S. I don't know if there was a bankruptsy involved, forclosure, or a basic property sell.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 30 days ago.

I need to go get lunch but will reply to you as soon as I get back.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Did you forget me!
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 27 days ago.

Hi! I am so sorry. My laptop would not load any websites all weekend and I couldn't figure out how to access our conversation via my mobile phone. Finally got computer fixed this morning and was backed up with work. Let me know if you still need an answer. Again, I'm so sorry! This past weekend was the type in which everything that could go wrong did!