Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Although i am awaiting a response from my previous landlord,

Customer Question

although i am awaiting a response from my previous landlord, the situation is as follows: I moved into a place that my friend had been occupying with another. The other left and I moved in and the lease changed to include me. The landlord did not make a walk through. The following year, my roommate moved out. I asked the landlord to come make a walk through to tell me what the damages were, if any. She came and only charged my roommate for something. Now, my lease is up and she is charging me 800 for a repainting. She said I took responsibility when I asked her to come and view the property. Now I am faced with the problem of having to deal with this discrepancy. She has also not followed procedure such as mailing the deposit through certified mail nor did she conduct a damage report.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: florida miami florida
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: yes, but nothing about paint
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: only that I had to extend my lease by 3 weeks as my new place was undergoing unscheduled repairs
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon Dan,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did each of you, as roommates or was there just one lease agreement that dropped one tenant and added you when you moved in?

Doug