barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

In March of this year I was found owing past due rent of

Customer Question

In March of this year I was found owing past due rent of 1500.00 that my husband owed, however that's not what I need to know at this time. The total rent for the house was $1000.00/month pus a $50.00 late fee. The landlord claims that a total of $1500.00 was owed for December 2015 and January 2016, well the total amount I paid for these 2 months was $1100.00 ($500.00 pd for 12/15 rent and $600.00 pd for1/16 rent on time for both). I also never noticed that this landlord had a $150.00 for these 2 months instead of $100.00($50.00 late fee per the lease). Since the judgement against me was 7 months ago can I have this decision re-opened ? Due to limited finances I've only been able to pay very little toward this
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just if I can have this judgement looked at again since the amount I 'owe' is clearly wrong. Thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through this and I will try to clear up any questions you have..

.

Since the judgement against me was 7 months ago can I have this decision re-opened ?

.

I hate to say it, but your time to appeal would have expired 30 days after the judgment was rendered. So no, you wouldn't be able to file an appeal at this time as you can only object within that 30 day window.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks