Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Our son received a demand letter on 11/4/2016 from a

Customer Question

Our son received a demand letter on 11/4/2016 from a landlord stating that rent payment + late fees must be received within 3 days of receipt of this demand letter. He went to pay late fees on 11/7/2016 and they stated that he now owes another $200 (I think this is correct amount) for attorney fees and will not accept any rent until the full amount is paid including attorney fees although he has not been contacted by an attorney or a collection agency. This is in Denver Colorado. He knew he was going to be late because he had to work on the 4th and 5th. I believe past due date was 11/3/2016. Is there anything that can be done to hold the landlord accountable
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Denver Colorado as stated.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Due the 1st, late fees by the 3rd which is understood and not disputed. What is at issue is the demand letter which states full amount must be paid in full or matter will be turned over to an attorney on the 3rd day from the demand letter (11/4/2016) and attorney fees are now due. Today is the 3rd day but they are demanding the attorney fees today and will not accept any rent unless paid in full. Not sure I understand issues related to maintenance or upkeep.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the landlord-tenant lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Unfortunately I am getting in the middle of something and I probably should let my son explain 100% in his own words and discuss directly. I was just trying to get some idea about what rights he had before this gets out of control. THANK YOU for your time. You do service the Denver, Colorado area, correct?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does the written lease state that the tenant is liable for any costs of collection in the event of a default?

.

Did he attempt to pay the full amount stated in the 3 day notice on or before the 7th?

,

.

thanks