Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

When a tenant brings bedbugs in to her apartment, is the

Customer Question

When a tenant brings bedbugs in to her apartment, is the landlord required to pay for the extermination costs?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: a suburb of Buffalo New york
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: there is no lease but tenants have been informed to alert me to any unsafe conditions or before they make in the unit as soon as possible
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is a tenant who has lived in this apartment for 13 years without incident. She claims the tenant who lives on the other side of the duplex brought them into the unit. She is about to move on Dec. 1st and this is the first I have heard of Bedbugs. One more question should I contact the other tenant and ask how she handled her bedbug problem? Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What actual evidence / proof do you have the the bedbugs infestation was caused by the neighbors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just the word of the tenant that is asking for exterminating bill, which she sent me two bills, One for $65 and one for $500. when she sent me her notice of moving at the end of october that was the first time I was made aware of the bedbugs.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was Made aware of the bedbugs when the tenant sent me two bills one for $65 and one for $500 asking for reimbursement . I was not made aware otherwise.

Thank you for your follow up.

The Landlord is generally responsible for the cost of extermination of any pest, including bedbugs.

Did the tenant give you written notice of the bedbug issue, before contacting and hiring an exterminator, so you would have a chance to hire an exterminator of your own choice?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I had no idea there was a bed bug situation until the tenant sent me the bills for the extermination.