barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My question concerns a question pertaining to land lord and

Customer Question

Hello My question concerns a question pertaining to land lord and tenant
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Is a lease a binding contract if the tenant is given a copy of the lease that was not signed by him(tenant) and its was pre stamped by a Notary and nothing was files in by the Notary ?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed or reported ?Pertaining to what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If the landlord provided the lease and the tenant signed it, then it is instantly binding on both parties. There is no legal obligation to have a notary stamp on a lease and its presence or omission doesn't affect the enforceability of the lease at all.

.

I don't see what state you are in, but generally a tenant can request a copy of the signed lease and wouldn't have to settle for an unsigned copy. But again, not getting a signed copy wouldn't make the lease invalid.

.

If you are a tenant and are trying to get out of a lease, if you give me some more information about what is going on, I may be able to make some suggestions..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks