LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

My ex landlord is demanding I pay for cleaning fees after he

Customer Question

My ex landlord is demanding I pay for cleaning fees after he gave me my deposit back. I lived in my property for 1 year and was told to vacate in under 30 days due to hide now selling the property. In less than 30 I vacated. Can he bill me after the fact?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Well we were going to move to a month to month lease but he refused our rent because he wanted us out so he could sell.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our property was listed for sale on Sept 22nd we were given notice on Oct 9th. We were called squatters on his property after he refused our rent. But we left and he signed a check to us to return for our deposit. We were 100% vacated by the 1st.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Did you leave the rent in the same condition as when you took possession, less normal wear and tear? Did the landlord state what exactly needed to be cleaned?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we received the property filthy with left over junk from previous tenants. Upon vacating we removed all trash and swept normal debris from moving in and out of house.
So I think we left it in better but he disagrees
Any approved upgrades that we made was left at the property.
We left a sink covered in Ajax but that's it.

Thank you. Your legal obligation was to leave the rental in the same conditions as when you took possession, less normal wear and tear. If you did that, then there would be no basis for him to charge you for a cleaning fee, unless you agreed to it, prior to taking possession. Sometimes, a rental agreement and landlord will charge a tenant a cleaning fee when they vacate but if that was never agreed to, there would need to be a legal basis to charge you this and show the mess was caused by you and you failed to clean, prior to vacating. In a situation like this, you can ask for a break down of the cleaning fees and evidence to support it and then can decide if there is a good faith basis to pay it or even request it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.